Monday 3 August 2015

Flamingo Border Skirt



Recently someone told me that apparently I love skirts. Well, I love dresses too, but with two little ones separates are more comfortable and easier to care for than dresses. As I love flamingos and summer was exceptionally hot here in Switzerland, I decided to make one more skirt for my wardrobe and bought this lovely material. (Thus the skirt doesn't count for my pattern pledge as the fabric was not part of my stash and I didn't use a particular pattern.)

This project wasn't challenging at all, but the fabric is great. So I decided to show the skirt here on my blog just the same. You don't find many nice border prints today that are nor totally childish (mind you, I sometimes DO wear really childish stuff) or kitschy.
When I ordered it I thought I would make a very full skirt, but as I'm more into the 40s stuff currently, I decided to make it less full. So it's a "late 1940s full skirt". I even have enough fabric left to make a halter top for me later and a full skirt for my little girl as well - as we both adore flamingos!

Kürzlich sprach mich jemand darauf an, dass ich offensichtlich gerne Röcke trage. Nun, ich würde auch sehr gerne mehr Kleider tragen, aber mit zwei kleinen Kindern sind separate Stücke (und halt auch Hosen) bequemer und pflegeleichter. Da ich Flamingos sehr liebe und ich für den ausserordentlich heissen Sommer gerne noch einen Rock wollte, habe ich mir kurzerhand diesen Stoff gekauft. (Insofern zählt er nicht für meine Teilnahme am "Pattern Pledge", auch deshalb weil ich keinen eigentlichen Schnitt dafür benutzt habe.) 

Dieses Projekt war nicht wirklich anspruchsvoll, doch der Stoff ist wunderbar, denn heute findet man nicht mehr allzu oft Bordürenstoffe, die nicht gerade komplett kindisch sind (obwohl ich ja ab und zu gerne mal auch kindisch bin und Ausgefallenes mag) oder kitschig. Drum zeige ich Euch hier den Rock trotzdem. 
Als ich diesen Stoff bestellte, dachte ich zunächst an einen wirklich vollen Rock, aber da ich eher den Stil der 1940er Jahre bevorzuge, beschloss ich die Fülle etwas zu reduzieren. Ich habe sogar genug Stoff um für mich ein Halter-Top und einen Rock für meine Tochter zu nähen - denn auch sie liebt Flamingos!

I love this print, the sketchy style looks rather mid-century...

...and the quality is very nice, as usual with these fabrics.

A gathered or pleated fill skirt is easy to make. There are plenty of great tutorials online, and you don't need a pattern. Personally, I prefer pleats, as they look less bulky (important when you are not very slim...) and are easier to iron.

Ein geraffter oder in Falten gelegter wieder Rock ist etwas vom Einfachsten, das man sich nähen kann, und es gibt im Internet etliche tolle Anleitungen dazu (man braucht ja nicht mal ein Schnittmuster!). Persönlich bevorzuge ich Falten, weil sie weniger auftragen (Raffungen an der Taille sind leider unbarmherzig, wenn man nicht gerade sehr schlank ist...) und ausserdem leichter zu bügeln sind.
Flamingos in the Swiss Alps! (me and friends in Poschiavo during my holidays)

And I forgot my pink purse!

I was wearing this skirt for the first time on our holiday in the mountains. Believe me, there's nothing else that looks as misplaced as flamingos in the Swiss Alps. I got a lot of strange looks, but I totally enjoyed wearing the skirt. The mint and pink colours look fresh and breezy, and I was lucky I found just shortly before our holiday an off-the-rack peasant blouse in exactly the same colour (and on sale...).
I also made this pink knit top in a peasant style, it matches the colour of the flamingos perfectly and is very comfortable to wear. (The pattern for the top is designed by myself and has to be adjusted a bit yet.)

Den Rock trug ich zum ersten Mal im Urlaub, und glaubt mir, es gibt wohl nichts das mehr fehl am Platz wirkt als Flamingos in den Schweizer Alpen. Ich erntete etliche erstaunte Blicke, aber ich habe es sehr genossen, diesen tollen Print zu tragen. Er sieht sogar etwa vintagemässig aus. Das Mintgrün und die Pinknuancen wirken frisch und luftig, und ich konnte es kaum fassen, als ich kurz vor dem Urlaub im Ausverkauf eine Bluse in exakt dem gleichen Farbton fand.
Ich habe auch das sehr bequeme rosa Jersey-Top nach einem eigenen Schnitt genäht, der noch etwas angepasst werden muss.



Pattern: No pattern needed, simple pleated skirt
Fabric: Michael Miller Flamingo Border, bought at fabric.com (copyright fabric pictures)
Mint peasant top: off the rack rayon, bought on sale
Pink peasant top: me made from cotton knit
Red sandals: Remix (2nd hand)
Pink clogs: Moheda Toffeln from Sweden


14 comments:

  1. Sooo schön!
    Echt. Gefällt mir sehr.
    Und das Bild in den Bergen ist schon lustig :-)

    Lieben Gruß
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Simone!

      Ja, ich kam mir schon etwas seltsam vor, obwohl die Temperaturen ja auch in den Bergtälern extrem heiss waren und ein leicht tropisch anmutender Rock nicht so verkehrt war... :-)

      Delete
  2. That fabric is so cool! And the color combo is perfect, yes, very breezy and summery!
    I don't think you got looks because you looked weird, I am sure they were looks of adoration ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siri, you're so kind! On Friday I overheard a very nasty comment of a tastelessly dressed woman about my skirt and my daughters 50s dress. I was hurt and upset, but then I know that many likeminded women like how the skirt turned out. Flamingos are so typical for mid-century fashion, and they're a "must have" in your summer wardrobe. In the end, I'm very happy with my skirt and that's all that counts.

      Delete
    2. That's horrible! I think you always look so fresh and put together :) I am glad you are not discouraged from wearing what you love.

      Delete
  3. You know I love the flamingos! This is a perfect summer skirt! Wonderful job dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kacy! It makes me really feel like being on a Florida holiday when I wear this skirt!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic skirt! It really looks beautiful on you, dear Doris. I love flamingos, too, but despite their prevalence on some vintage/repro items, I honestly - surprisingly - don't think that I currently own anything flamingo themed. I rather shocked by that, the more I think about it and will certainly have to try and follow your lead and add some charming pink bird themed pieces to my closet.

    Many hugs & happy start of August wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica, for your kind words.

      I realized that true vintage featuring flamingos is rarely available. I found lots of pictures of brooches (and I'm a glad owner of 2), but most pieces are not for sale or very expensive. Hopefully you will find something nice, or a beautiful reproduction. I also have another new fabric in my stash with a small-scale flamingo print that will become a dress.
      However, despite the lasting summer heat I'm beginning to get mentally (and wardrobe-wise) prepared for the cooler days. So very soon my flamingos will have to hibernate. :-)

      Until then we try to enjoy August and the last 2 weeks of school holidays.

      Wishing you warm sunny days, Doris

      Delete
  5. Oh I do love flamingos! I love how this turned out. So perfect for summer. :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, who DOESN'T like flamingos? :-) I'm always amazed to meet fellow sewers, and they all are mad about flamingos!

      Hope you can enjoy the rest of summer just like me!

      Delete
  6. What a darling mid-century-esque print! I love, love that color scheme and it certainly looks so lovely in your outfit. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your kind words! ❤ Doris

      Delete
  7. Huhu, wunderschön ! Ich habe mir rein zufällig gestern auch den Stoff gekauft um einen Rock daraus zu nähen ;) Bin aber noch blutige Anfängerin was nähen angeht...Ich hoffe ich bekomme das Gute Stück auch so schön hin :) Er steht dir wirklich super :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is much appreciated and will be published after approval, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...